Tuesday 20 September 2022

Session 108: "We're all gonna die, we're not going to make it, I tell ya!" or "It 'aint over until the Raver Giant sings....."".

23rd day of Deepsnow 1492 

Mission:  Defence of Triboar

Campaign: Black Maw Bog

Location(s):  Triboar.

Present: Aerie, Anor, Bandur, Garet, Heimund & Droop, Karion, Paskan

(Roughly 7pm) 1 Hour since notification of enemy on the march came in:

Aerie turns to Master Raemond:

Aerie: "Right, I won't tell you how to do your job, as I believe you know better than I how to defend your home; but I would like to make a few suggestions. I'd recommend you speak with Mr. Maits and enquire about utilizing his trebuchets in the defence against this attack. I'd offer to enquire ourselves, but I fear we may have offended him with our initial suspicions. I'd also recommend we not frontload the defence as well, as the chances of an army surrounding Triboar are pretty high- to that end you may also want to have civilians and the town's leaders take shelter so as to ensure their safety. We also need information on whatever lies beneath Triboar. One does not send an army and an undead frost giant- sorry, Raver- to a city for no reason. There has to be someone, or something, that whoever's leading this army is after- something that we can't afford to have falling into the hands of evil. 

Also, when preparing for the attack, please keep in mind that the enemy we're facing is known to coat their weapons with poison- so be sure to have plenty of antidotes on hand; or if there are healers or clerics here besides myself, warn them ahead of time so they know what to expect and prepare for. I'll lend a hand when and where I can on the healing front, but I believe you'll want me, and my party on the walls and/or towers with your men. If we need more healers than fighters, I'll stay back and tend to the wounded if that's what is needed most. Now, I'm not sure about your stock of grease, lamp oil and tar- perhaps the shopkeepers can be persuaded to add to whatever you may or may not have, but having a small perimeter of flammable fluid would be useful- in the initial setting the enemy alight once they step into it, in keeping the enemy relatively at bay, and in lighting up the battlefield so those who cannot see well in the dark, can see their targets." Aerie will pause, her lips thinning.

"We also have a potential lead, someone who I believe may be an inside agent. While I understand there are many people, who all walk different paths in their lives here, there is a man who stands out to me-the gravekeeper in the Temple of Waukeen. Word around town is that he is friends with the half-orc pitt fighter 'Vicious'- the same half-orc that summoned that metal bull that attacked in the central market- and when I went to speak with him, all I could sense from him was pure evil. He also lied to me about the presence of anyone who would be able to speak with me about what could possibly lay beneath Triboar. I would like to... question him- more specifically have my trustworthy partner do it, as he has a knack for getting information from otherwise tight-lipped individuals. I'll be focusing more primarily on ensuring we receive truthful answers, and possibly speaking with the Priestess of Wuakeen- though I may turn to Anor for assistance with this, as I'm not too familiar with human Gods and their Priest's methods. As we are a bit pressed for time, I'm afraid we may have to take a more... expedient and direct line of questioning. I have a prayer granted to me by my Goddess that will most likely ensure truthful responses to our queries, though he may require... coaxing. I pray not, though I doubt he'll willingly give up information that we need." At this she'll look up to Garet, before returning her attention to Master Raemond.

"I'm aware this probably won't sit well with you, but unfortunately we've run out of time to be diplomatic and polite about this. Now, continuing with my suggestions, you may also want to consider stationing some men by the well in the centre of town. While searching for leads, myself, Karion and Heimund sensed evil from the well- the kind that made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. The chances are slim, but there still may be a chance of a surprise attack from that point as there are lizardmen within the army's numbers- unless we can guard the outside entrance to that cavern or whatever lies beneath Triboar." 

Shifting her weight, Aerie looked at the party members individually, her eyes hard.

"While the town is preparing their defence, we need to assist where, and however we can. Garet and Anor, as I mentioned before, you'll come with me to... chat... with this grave keeper. I promised Anor a door-kicking (she'll look apologetically at Master Raemond), and I doubt the grave keeper will be willing to open the gate for us- if he's even still there. Should be, as he claimed he was digging a pair of graves, but I digress. Heimund, I want you to assist Master Raemond and the rest of the Order of the Gauntlett as best you can- setting up preparations for the defence, moving things, reminding less experienced fighters of their duty and pumping them up- you know what you need to do. Paskan, if you can promise me you'll do your best to keep your temper under control, I'd like to have you assist with manual labour as well- and when the time comes, I'd like to have you defending the inner city- or on the walls, possibly riding out with the calvary on Grim if we get to that point. I'll be honest, I don't know if you know how to use ranged weapons well, so having you ready for close-range combat may be the best option. Bandur this counts for you as well, as although I know you can use a bow, I worry about whether or not you can see over the wall's crenulations." 

Paskan: "I like the plan and you are right I'm an up close and personal fighter, but I will try to watch my temper." 

Aerie offers a small, friendly smile before she became serious once more: 

"Karion, I hate to do this, but I need you to take on the riskiest job- I need you to scout the incoming army from the skies. We know their rough numbers, and the presence of the Raver, but what I want you looking for is their magical strength. If you can count roughly how many shaman/spell-slingers there are and note their identifying markers- and who or what is bearing the 'item' we strongly suspect is a destruction orb- this may give us targets to focus on- besides the obvious one - the Raver. This isn't a death or glory mission, this is a get what you need, and get back as fast as you can mission- I don't want to lose you when you're too far from us to help; pendant back at the first sign of trouble if you can or need to." 

Taking a breath, Aerie ran a hand through her hair before continuing:

"All that being said, this is just a rough idea of a starting plan- and as we all well know, no plan survives first contact; so this could, and probably will, all change depending on what information we can extract from the grave keeper- or if we receive any other information about what lies beneath Triboar from anyone else who knows. If my intuition is serving me as well as it typically does, that army is after whatever they believe is down there- and we may be better off getting our hands on it before they do. If we can get more concrete information on what may or may not be lying beneath our feet, we may be able to head down there ourselves to beat the enemy to it- and eliminate their goal from the get-go. If that's not a viable option, we take to the walls and towers, alongside the defenders of Triboar; shoot anything that moves that isn't an ally and make them regret making this decision. It may be best to leave the Raver to the paladins, and myself and other combat-inclined clerics, as we should be able to hurt it badly with our holy abilities- smite, blessings, turning undead and such- though we can add what power we can to those who can't channel divine power. As it's probably the biggest threat to Triboar, literally, it should definitely be one of the main focuses of our attack- the magic users being the secondary primary targets, which is why I need Karion to help us identify the shamans/casters. The sooner we get rid of these high-threat targets, the sooner the cavalry can ride out a little more comfortably to take the battle to the enemy- if that's a route we need to take. To help with the Raver, I'll create some holy water, and I'd recommend those who are able to, to follow suit as we may be able to coat our arrows with it to deal some extra damage to the beast." 

Aerie paused once more, her eyes darkening as she seemed to recall something, before quickly shaking her head:

"This won't be a cake-walk, large-scale battles like this are dangerous, messy, and more often than not, deadly. I'd rather not be tits deep in wounded or dead again, so please, all of you, no hero moves. We fight this battle intelligently, by playing to our strengths and guarding our weak points. The last thing I want is to lose any more friends in a battle. If there's anything you think needs added, or changed, now's the time to speak up."

Master Raemund: "What cavalry do you speak of, Aerie?"

Aerie looks to Master Raemund, a wry smile on her lips.

"Apparently a non-existent one. Apologies, I'd meant to say if there's a need or chance to, mounted fighters could break the enemy lines once the army had been weakened by our ranged attackers. If this isn't an option, we fight defensively. I'll admit I'm not completely aware of what "The Twelve" are or are not capable of, I was more speaking to what options we may or may not have."

Master Raemond: "From the riders of the 48 sent out from the '12', only the 2 survivors from the ambush have returned."

Aerie winced and murmured an apology, before looking down at the table in frustration, looking back up to him and noticing Master Raemond talk to someone before they scurried off. Looking back down at the table, Aerie tapped it with her finger, tracing invisible lines on it as she begins to murmur to herself.

Master Raemond: "Perhaps this will help?" A map of the city was placed before her, a hand coming into her view as Master Raemond begins to explain the layout, pointing at the entrances and landmarks within the city so the group could see the layout. Eyes lighting up, Aerie shoots Master Raemond a grateful look before she too begins to trace a finger across the map.


1: Phandalin or West Gate.
2: Temple of the Order of the Gauntlet.
3: Lord Protectors Tower, council chambers and armoury.
4: Militia barracks.
5: Tobias & Sons.
6: Temple of Waukeen.
7: Shady Gryphon tavern.
8: Market square with well & statue.
9: Yartar GAte.
10: Merchants Gate.
11: Outlying farms.

Aerie: "Your scouts said the army was headed North from Black Maw Bog, so they'll probably come in from the south- likely aiming for the Yartar entrance. While they have some considerable numbers and power, they'd be stupid to try and surround the city- roughly 500 wouldn't be able to surround us and not be too spread thin." Tracing her finger along the southern wall, Aerie frowns. "But that doesn't stop a few from trying to flank us if most of the defence is here... does the town have enough fighters to man the walls at all? We could split ourselves up to help bolster-" Aerie stopped mid-sentence when Master Raemond shook his head.

Master Raemond: "The enemy are advancing up the road from Westbridge, if they follow it exactly, they will arrive at the west gate the Phandalin Gate. I'd recommend your group stays together, your own unit if you will."  

Pulling a box from somewhere within the room, Master Raemond took out a few stones- setting one on each corner of the map to hold it flat, before beginning to place them in groups just above it, as he began to count off the groups, and their numbers. Each stone he placed had a number carved into it.

Master Raemond: "There are12 Riders left from the 12, two wounded, all of them can use spears, swords and bows." 

A black stone with 12 clacks gently to the table. 

"36 of the riders from the 12 are unaccounted for, though they're likely still on patrol down the Yartar, and Phandalin roads, and the North Edge of Black Maw Bog. 70 of the Select Fyrd are veteran fighters and can use various weapons- 25 of them have bows." 

Three greenish stones were placed down as he spoke, 2 said 25, one said 20.

"The other 83 of the General Fyrd that have shown up, are at least trained in spears, swords and shields." 

Four rust-coloured stones were placed down at this, 3 reading 21, and one 20. 

"Then we have the Militia. They number 100, roughly half of them trained in bow and sword, the other half are trained in spear, sword and shield."

At this he places 5 bluish stones, each of them reading 20.

"Last but certainly not least, there's our Order. I have 10 knights who are trained with the sword and shield and wear chain." 

One final clack of a pitch-black stone, boldly emblazoned with a 10.



"Giving us a total of 275 fighters, 92 of them are probably good fighters, 183 of them are at least trained." 

Aerie eyes the stones, chewing her lip as she thought. Glancing into the box, and not seeing a 7, she pulls off her Ring of Warmth and places it by the stones. 

Aerie: "You mean 282 fighters, with our current 7. We want to help, now I'll admit, I'm no tactician- I'm a healer, and a cleric... but if the party continues as we are, this won't be the first time we may have to defend a town like this, so I guess no better time to learn than the present...Now, just from what I can see, these aren't ideal numbers given the situation, as they potentially nearly double us- but better than I'd hoped for, and certainly doable... the concern is the townspeople themselves. Certainly, if we balance the placement of the groups well enough, we could defend the walls- but what about the townsfolk, the potential danger with the well- and those who get injured in the fight? Are there other healers in town, or do we need me to hang back and look after-" 

The sound of the door opening interrupted Aerie, a quick look revealed the man Master Raemund had spoke to, red in the face and fighting to catch his breath.

Man: "Tobais Maits... says he has... 5... ballista that require construction. Two more... mounted on a wagon... with metal shielding... called it a 'war wagon'. Said he's prepared to let the town have all five, and the ammunition they need. Said he and his mercenaries could act as a reaction force with the twelve- well, them that're here. Get this- the townsfolk ain't just curling up and hiding- man stopped me, leadin' 150 of them that're willing to fight too. Got more coming in from the outskirts as well, seekin' refuge, though I'd bet some of them'll wanna fight too." 

Aerie was a little surprised when Master Raemond turned to her with a raised eyebrow, and something she'd be tempted to call a smirk.

Master Raemond: "Seems the people of Triboar aren't the type to just roll over and take it, eh?"

Aerie offered a tight grin in response.

Aerie: "With a tavern with a fighting pit out back, that's hardly surprising. Personally, I'm none too keen on sending untrained civilians up to man the walls against orcs, hobgoblins and lizardmen with bows, poisoned arrows and spells likely flying over their heads- sounds too close to sending sheep off to slaughter... that being said, there's no reason they can't defend the town within its walls- and their families. Having armed and aware civilians on the streets is better than trying to stretch what forces Triboar has in an effort to protect those who can't protect themselves. Those ballista however, would certainly add some oomph to the defence... the question is... where to put them, and who can use them? Or set them up? Mr. Maits can't be in more than one place at once, as far as I know, and I'm sure he only has so many hands to help-"

Paskan: "I've got some experience with ballista! Got some training while I was- uh... look I got trained, and I know how to use 'em." 

Blinking at the dragonborn in surprise, Aerie nodded, looking to Anor as he too spoke up.

Anor: "I'm familiar with ballista as well." 

Nodding to herself, she looked back to Master Raemond as he moved a hand over the box of stones once more. He placed 5 stones that looked similar to the ones he used to weigh the corners on the map, but smaller- 2 by the gate to Yartar, two by the gate to Phandalin, and one on the tower space on the southern wall.

Master Raemond: "The two gates are close, relatively speaking, and the southernmost wall is the fastest route between the two; so, I believe you're right in that it'll see the most action."

Aerie: "Two of my guys have experience with ballista... if Mait's mercs can handle the other three..." 

Aerie moves her ring to the Yartar gate. 

"We can handle this. Chances are good this'll be where the enemy hits the hardest, as it's the closest to where they're coming from. From here Heimund and I will probably have a clear shot on the Raver- unless... do you need me to stay back and heal? We never got to the healers bit, and I'd rather ensure as many of the people involved survive as possible-"

Master Raemond: "Triboar has 8 'healers', mostly locals who know how to apply bandages and herbs, out of them, there are two who know what they're doing, and can act as capable healers. We can have one of them help those that are defending the Phandalan gate... which will need a strong support."

Taking one of the greenish stones, he placed it on said gate. 

"The other healer can stay back within Triboar to help the less experienced healers, and deal with any casualties. Leaving you to cover the Yartar Gate's heals." 

With that he began place a couple new stones on the map- yellow tinted ones.

"The civilians can guard their families and homes, as I agree, putting them on the wall isn't ideal." 

Aerie hesitated a moment before reaching over Master Raemond to take a random rock from the box to place it, and the 12's stone by the well.

Aerie: "Forgive me if I'm overstepping- but I strongly feel the well needs to be watched by a competent group; and, in the event my concerns were for naught, Mr. Maits has a relatively clear shot out of Triboar with his... war wagon thing. This could be used, potentially coupled with the 12, as a 'calvary-esque' move, should we need to pursue or break the enemies ranks." 

Eyeing the map, Master Raemond nods before continuing to place rocks on the map. 

Master Raemond: "With the South wall probably seeing the most action, we want to have a good portion of our trained or experienced fighters there; with warriors wielding shields, swords and spears defending the bowmen- the enemy could scale the wall and attack, this would prevent that." 

Suddenly Aerie felt like a trainee once more, and she could almost hear her warrior trainer barking in her ear. 

"We don't want to leave our flank open, either, so..." 

And with that, Master Raemond began placing rock after rock on the map, until the positions were filled and made sense. Aerie could only stare in awe- it would've taken her longer to come up with a plan like this and look half as confident as the Master did. Shaking herself out of the stupor, she nodded.

Aerie: "Colour me impressed, Master Raemond; I mean, I figured you'd be able to but- to see it in action is impressive." 

Looking back up to her party mates, Aerie smiles slightly.

Aerie: "You guys okay with this? It's a good layout, and will certainly make our preparation plans much clearer. Paskan and Anor to set up and man the ballista, Bandur and Heimund can help with other set up- possibly barrels of arrows for archers on the walls, or possibly flammable liquid of fire-trapness?"

Aerie gave Master Raemond a questioning look before returning to the group.

Master Raemond: "Already happening, all such stuff is being collected in the central square to be doled out as required. 4 barrels of oil have been found and 2 are being dispatched to each of the main gates. The merchants gate will have to do without I'm afraid".

Aerie: "While Garet and I deal with mr. Gravekeeper, and Karion scouts out the magical prowess of the enemy army. Only thing is, is now Anor has a choice: do you set up the ballista and give yourself ample time to prepare and figure it out- or do you want to give yourself less time to prepare and kick down a door, and chat with a priestess?"

Anor: "After listening to the plan and looking at the dispositions, which seems fair, could I make a couple of suggestions and I mean suggestions, from my time in a mercenary company I have a little experience.

First asking Karion to scout I believe a good move, he could get us important information as to the disposition of the enemy.

From our experience I think it's safe to say they are not going to blockade the town and lay siege, unless we are told they are bringing siege engines. 

As they have spell casters and a giant zombie, an obvious tactic would be a large frontal attack and try to bludgeon their way through with an internal incursion, possibly from the well or graveyard area. So...... if we can halt the first attack and give them food for thought, and waste time.

Can we send out riders now to ask for aid. A new force marching to help may give then cause to make mistakes and not be subtle."

Master Raemond: "Already done, they went out at the same time as the patrols. The patrol to Yartar will carry messages there, the patrol to Phandalin the same, unfortunately it would seem the patrol to Westdridge did not get through!"

Anor: "Right so can we have a unit of militia/ townfolk near to the well, just in case there is an incursion, then a unit to the North, East and West to the town, keeping an eye on where the enemy army moves.

Master Raemond: "We are stretched pretty thin as it is, I certainly wouldn't put any of the armed civilians there, even if there are 50 in each group, but you have 40 men under command use them as you feel necessary."

Anor: "Keep the knights and remnants of the 12 as a central reserve as they will have the ability to quickly move to any incursion of assault on the walls or gates."

Master Raemond: "I will take that under advisement, but they have already been dispatched to the north, central tower."

Anor: "Set up the ballista as already discussed, I will help set up then assist Aerie and Garat. I will return to the ballista as quickly as possible to do final preparations, just means I may not be able to set up a field of fire accurately and will have to fire over the sights as it were.

Send out Tobias mercenaries and war wagon to harry the army’s advance and make a fighting withdrawal back to town, not to get bogged down in a protracted fight and form up behind the south gates, which is where we are expecting the enemy to appear.

Our party, with the select fyrd man the walls where the main assault looks like it's going to come, hopefully being lured to the south gate by Tobias and his wagon and mercs."

Master Raemond: "The Select Fyrd are needed to bolster up the others and to have them all in one place would lessen the resolve of the other units."

Anor: "If we can blunt a couple of assaults and get help the enemy army may fracture and disperse enough for us to handle in detail. If no aid coming a couple of failed attacks again could lead to a disturbance in their ranks and dissension."

Master Raemond: "That is our intention, should the enemy breach a gate and get into the town we stand no chance."

Anor: "Aerie, Garat and myself, quickly need to get to the gravedigger and see what he knows, by any means, just keep the paladin's out of the way for now."

Paskan: "That's fine by me."
Looking up to Anor, Aerie smiled a bit, appreciating his input greatly, before returning her
attention to the map, responding to the human fighter before thinking to wait for Master 
Raemond's response.

Aerie: "What about a compromise, the unit of 12 move from the main square to the well area,
with a civilian unit nearby to support?"

Master Raemond: ""I'll order one unit of the 12 set up by the well, and the civilians placed
strategically so they can assist in the event of a surprise attack from the well or graveyard. 
The 10 knights from the Order have a clear line of sight from the Northern tower of both 
the Northern walls in the event of a flanking manouever, and of the well in the event of a 
sneak attack." 

Aerie tapped the pitch-black stone with the 10 emblazoned on it sitting on the spot of the
mid-Northern tower, dragging her finger south to show the road and the path the 10 
would likely take.

Aerie: "As for the war wagon- I like your idea Anor, but have some concerns about risking
our only source of 'mobile heavy weaponry' in a luring/harrying tactic. I'd rather keep the 
war wagon back and in town initially to act as mobile heavy weapon backup that we can 
call on if we need to support other areas- as they'd be able to move quickly and provide 
mobile ranged support; that we can later use to hit the enemy once/if we get to the stage 
where we can or have to take a strong offense. Believe me, I think a strong offense initially
 would be good, as it could give the enemy pause- but at the same time, we're not working
 with a quote on quote 'proper army' here, and we're facing roughly 500 orcs, hobgoblins
 and lizardmen- all used to a life of conflict, with poisoned weapons, magic, and- as you
 put it- a giant zombie. I think if we tried a frontal assault to slow them, it may turn into a 
slaughter as we've only got less than 100 actually experienced fighters- the rest are either
 only trained, or are civilians; excluding ourselves. Risking our only mobile heavy weapons,
 likely driven by the man whose genius came up with the war wagon and the ballista, for a
 chance at making the enemy pause doesn't seem like the strongest move..." 

Once more Aerie turned to Master Raemond, looking a touch sheepish.

Aerie: "Sending out a call for the rest of the 12 to return, and possible aid from neighbouring 
allies would be nice, but- and hopefully Master Raemond can either back or correct me here, 
that'll take quite some time- time that we probably don't have. Keep in mind the invading army
 was roughly 4-6 hours out when we received word, they're likely closer now though... plus 
whatever time they'd need to set up their end. Don't forget Mr. Mait's raided wagons from 
before. He claimed there was a shipment of 15 ballista- we saw two at the lake, and another
 was destroyed in our own encounter whilst working on the job that landed us here in the first 
place; which leaves possibly 12 that the enemy may or may not have (which Karion could 
possibly scout out and take note for us while looking for magic users)- more poisoned
 firepower that they could use against the war wagon and riders in a frontal assault; 
another reason why I don't want to risk them... That being said, and getting back on track,
 the riders may or may not be able to return in time to flank the enemy; but that'd likely take 
some time, as we need to look at how long it'd take for the messengers to find them in the 
first place, then the time it would take for them to return. Hence the defensive strategy as we 
need to keep what we have relatively safe as we pick off what we can until we can afford a 
frontal assault, or hopefully defeat the enemy in defending Triboar- potentially buying enough
 time for returning riders to flank the enemy." 

Aerie grinned sheepishly at the Master.

Aerie: "Thank you for sending a message out, whether that is possible or even feasible. 
But I'm sure you think that that is a wise move."

Garet: "If there are spellcasters among the force, I am going to suggest that several of us
target them first. We will need to keep them focused on defending themselves instead of 
attacking the town or buffing the enemy. I almost want to head out and try to assassinate 
1 or 6 of them while they March, but Aerie needs me for the interrogation." 

Aerie: "As for your setup of the trebuchet and assisting Garet and I, I'd recommend we head 
out to see the grave keeper as soon as we wrap up here- gives him less time to skulk away 
amidst this chaos... perhaps we can ask one of Mr. Mait's mercs or sons to start the setup, 
and you can take over once we've dealt with that problem. I only need you to get us in,
if there's resistance and ask the priestess about whether or not she knows anything of what 
may lie beneath Triboar- yes, I know I was supposed to do that, but I messed up. Contrary 
to popular belief, I'm not as skilled in the art of charisma as it may seem, and I was 
blind-sided/stunned by the grave keeper response, if I'm being honest. I apologize and 
will endeavour to improve."

Anor: "As I said, suggestions, I am totally at your disposal Aerie..........Oooh a door to kick in!"

Aerie will smile warmly at Anor, appreciation written clearly across her face.

Aerie: "Thank you, Anor."

Turning to Garet:

Aerie: "Garet, a wise suggestion as far as targeting the spellcasters go- though now I'm glad
I need you for the interrogation. As skilled in the art of stealth and assassination as you are,
that would prove to be an incredibly risky move. We don't know if any of the spellcasters have 
True Sight- which would allow them to see you, no matter how nigh-invisible you are when 
you sneak. I'd really rather not risk losing you, and would prefer simply forcing them to defend
themselves, no matter how much a successful assassination would help."

(Roughly 8pm)
Man: "Master Raemond, Master Raemond.........the patrol from Black Maw Bog has returned
via the Yartar gate."

Master Raemund: "What news, spit it out!"

Man: "They were ambushed but only lost 1 of their number. The leader of the patrol sends 
word that they spotted a large body of Orcs and Goblins moving out of the swamp and 
heading for the Yartar Gate............he numbers them at over 200! They will be at the gate
within 3 hours!"

Master Raemond: "That may change things.......is it the same force, are there 2 enemy
forces? If so, then they number 700 plus and not 500!"

TBC 

Note:
Enemy arrive at Phandalin Gate within 3 to 5 hours.
Enemy arrive at Yartar Gate within 3 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment